New report details number of children rushed to hospital after eating medication

A new report shows 64,000 children are rushed to the hospital every year after ingesting medication at home.

The report, released by Safe Kids Worldwide, says a child is rushed to an ER every eight minutes.

Concerned parents call a poison control hotline even more frequently -- about every minute.

We went to the Tampa Poison Information Center and were there as a call came in about a 3-year-old who got into a bottle of Benadryl.

The poison specialist who answered the phone walked the caller through what to do to make sure the child was all right and did not have to be taken to the hospital.

"Poison specialists are highly trained. They're trained to asses each call individually. They know the right questions to ask to determine whether the child need to be seen or not," said Alfred Aleguas, the center's managing director.

He said half the calls they take deal with children under age 5 and about 80 percent of the time they can direct the caller on how treat the child over the phone.

Parents like Megan Cate know the sinking feeling that comes with a close call.

"We have had situations where I've had vitamins on the counter and I have a very mischievous daughter who is very good at opening containers. And so she has gotten into vitamins before and I found them in her mouth," Cate said.

But that incident did change how and where she stored all her medication.

"Everything is all together and it's very high in a closet and they cannot see -- they don't know what's in that bin," Cate said.

The report also said grandparents need to keep a closer eye on young children. The report says medication children got their hands on belonged to grandparents almost 40 percent of the time.

Print this article Back to Top