Edward Archbold roach eating contest death: Florida man dies after eating dozens of bugs and worms

A Florida man died after winning a roach-eating contest, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said Monday.

Immediately after eating dozens of roaches and worms, Edward Archbold, 32, said he wasn't feeling well and began to regurgitate, according to the sheriff's office.

Archbold was participating in the contest on Friday night at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.

Several contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects for the chance to win an exotic reptile.

The grand prize: a Python.

Archbold later collapsed in front of the store, according to BSO.

Broward Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported Archbold to Broward Health North, where he was later pronounced dead.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments