Aug. 13 is International Left-Handers' Day.
According to lefthandersday.com , a group launched the day in 1992 to include world-wide celebrations. The day is most widely celebrated in the United Kingdom, where a number of organizations hold organized events.
Here are five fast facts about lefties, according to lefthandersday.com :
- 1. Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing under water.
- 2. Most left-handers draw figures facing to the right.
- 3. Four out of the original five designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed.
- 4. Left-handers excel in tennis, baseball, swimming and fencing
- 5. One in four Apollo astronauts were left-handed, which is 250 percent higher than normal levels of left-handedness.
Famous south paws include Albert Einstein, Cary Grant, Tom Cruise, Yogi Berra, "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, Judy Garland and Henry Ford.