Getting to know ABC News journalist JuJu Chang with this week's '10 questions'
4:18 PM, May 21, 2013
TAMPA - Are you ever curious about the real lives of politicians, celebrities, local newsmakers and athletes?
Each Tuesday, ABC Action News asks 10 questions of a Bay area leader, politician or even national celebrity.
We go beyond the questions that are news of the day. After all sometimes, we want know more about them as people. What's their favorite music? Biggest regret? And who do they look up to?
This week we hear from a familiar face at ABC news, the network's special correspondent and fill in anchor ABC's JuJu Chang.
She is an Emmy Award-winning journalist who sometimes sits in anchor desk at ABC News' "Nightline."
Chang also reports frequently for "Good Morning America" and "20/20."
Her on camera work goes beyond her accomplishments on ABC.
She also hosted a series for PBS In 1999 and worked on a seven-part television series called "The Art of Women's Heath."
Chang was actually born in Seoul, Korea and raised in California. While growing up at a young age, Chang was a nationally ranked swimmer.
She then attended Stanford University where she graduated with honors with a BA in political science and communication.
She stated her career at ABC News not as an on air talent but as a desk assistant. She then moved up and became a producer at "World News Tonight."
Chang then did become correspondent. She's covered many stories, including the U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Hurricane Georges. More recently, Chang covered Superstorm Sandy and the mass shootings in Newtown, CT.
Chang is also very active in the Asian-American community. She is a founding board member of the Korean American Community Foundation. She is also an active member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
In 1995, she married television executive Neal Shapiro and converted to Judaism.
Shapiro is the current CEO OF WNET Public Media in New York that reaches an audience of five million monthly.
Shaipro also worked at ABC News for 13 years.
Shapiro is a former president of NBC News.
The couple has three boys.
I really admired her answer to question three!
1. What's in your iPod? By accident I wiped it all off!!! I nearly cried. A young hipster friend had loaded it with hip hop + fresh, hipster music that was so fun to work out to. Then I was syncing to my computer and accidentally switched it to factory settings. I could kick myself!!!
2. What's the best gift you ever got? A purse from my husband w/my boys faces on it!!
3. What do you consider your greatest success? Making time with my family and friends a priority
4. Did you ever have a nickname? If so, what was it and what did it mean? Juju is a nickname. Hyunju is my real name. Umma is what my kids call me (Korean for mom).
5. What is your all time favorite movie? Animal House. Says a lot about me, I know.
6. If you could have dinner with any three people living or dead who would they be? MLK, Harriet Tubman and Moses.
7. What is in your fridge right now? Greek yogurt, chocolate milk, and groceries purchased online.
8. What is the last book you read? Shattered Silence
9. What do you consider your greatest regret? That I spent so much energy being insecure in my 20's
Chang answered the questions for our station in Phoenis, Arizona. They included this question as part of the 10 questions.
10. Ever been to Arizona? What's your favorite thing to do here? Had a blast at the Super Bowl. Played tennis at the Biltmore.
Here is the orginal linke from the station there: KNXV http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_news/10_questions/10-questions-for-abc-news-anchor-juju-chang
Who will get profiled next week? Check back for a new "10 Questions" each Tuesday here on http://abcactionews.com
And remember, please keep sending me your suggestions. The people profiled are based on who you would like to hear from.
If you would like to suggest someone for 10 questions you can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or "like" me on Facebook.
To do that just head to abcactionnews.com/facebook http://abcactionnews.com/facebook find me under the favorites tab and click the "like" button.