TAMPA BAY - Here are five things you need to know happening in Florida on Wednesday, November 21.
(1) Operation Jingle Bell ROC
The Tampa Police Department (TPD) begins their annual holiday mall operation to stop crime on Wednesday.
"Operation Jingle Bell ROC" is designed to stop common holiday crimes such as car burglaries, car thefts and shoplifting.
Officers will provide enhanced security at Westshore Mall, International Plaza, the Dale Mabry Retail Corridor and Hyde Park Village. Police will patrol the parking lots, looking for criminal activity, but also educating shoppers about the dangers of leaving packages and valuables in their vehicles.
TPD is also releasing a new parody video today titled "Deck the Malls." In the video officers took to the microphone to highlight shopping safety tips.
The enhanced security operation will continue through January 1.
(2) The Voice contestant sings at home dedication
Former The Voice contestant Nathalie Hernandez will sing at a Habitat for Humanity Thanksgiving home dedication on Wednesday.
The Dunedin teenager is scheduled to sing at the Habitat Pinellas home dedication for Elizabeth Gamble and her two sons.
Among the songs Nathalie will perform today is her original composition, Happy Valley Home.
The dedication ceremony begins at 9:00 a.m. at the new Gamble home at 1919 28th Avenue North in St. Petersburg.
(3) Busy travel day for Thanksgiving
Many people will be hitting the roads and airports across Florida and the country on Wednesday for the Thanksgiving holiday.
According to TripAdvisor, 58% of people intend to drive to their Thanksgiving destination, while 38% plan to fly. Over 4 in ten people will be traveling more than 500 miles this year.
While it is important to get a good night sleep before a long drive, the Florida Turnpike will help keep you awake by offering free coffee at Turnpike service plaza from 11:00 p.m. tonight through 6:00 a.m. on Thursday.
For people traveling by plane, Tampa International Airport offers several travel trips:
- Arrive early at the airport. Around 53,000 people are expected to fly through TIA today.
- Leave gifts unwrapped. Items that cannot be identified during the screening process may have to be unwrapped by security agents.
- Perfume bottles, jams, jellies and bottles of wine count as liquids and are not allowed as carry-on luggage.
- Small snow globes smaller than a tennis ball will be allowed in carry-on luggage beginning this year.
(4) Hard Rock Cafe HOT 101.5 Thanksgiving Eve Party
HOT 101.5 hosts their Thanksgiving Eve Party at the Seminole Hard Rock Tampa Pool and Cafe on Wednesday.
Bronx, New York, native DJ Ekin will spin music poolside beginning at 8:00 p.m.
He will be followed by DJ Five inside the Hard Rock Cafe beginning at 11:30 p.m. DJ Five was vote #1 DJ in 2004 by Las Vegas Life Magazine.
Attendees must be 21 years or older to attend the party.
The poolside party is free. Admission to the party in the Hard Rock Cafe is free with a pool wristband from 11:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. After 12:30 a.m., the entry fee is $5 for women and $10 for men.
The party will continue until 4:00 a.m. inside the Hard Rock Cafe.
For more information, call (866) 502-7529 or visit www.seminolehardrocktampa.com .
(5) Free "turkey-busting" workouts
Julia Zammito, owner of Total Body Results, will be offering nearly free Thanksgiving week "turkey-busting workouts" beginning on Wednesday.
"This is our third annual Turkey Busting Workout and we are planning on making it a tradition," says Zammito.
The Total Body Results Bootcamp is open to all Pinellas County residents, their family and friends at the following times:
- Wednesday: 6:00 to 7:00 a.m., 9:00 to 10:00 a.m., 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 9:00 to 10:00 a.m.
- Friday: 6:00 to 7:00 a.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 to 10:00 a.m.
Locations for the workouts are as follows:
- 6:00 a.m. classes will be held at the Redington Shores Public Beach at 182nd Avenue North.
- 9:00 a.m. classes at Walsingham Park Shelter #6 at 12615 102nd Avenue North in Largo.
- 6:00 p.m. classes at Walter Fuller Park at 7891 26th Avenue North in St. Petersburg.
The cost of admission is one can of food which will be donated to help feed the hungry.
To register in advance for a "turkey-busting" workout, visit totalbodyresults.com/category/turkey-busting-workout/ .