TAMPA - Here are five things you need to know happening in Florida on Tuesday, August 5, 2014.
(1) 113th Street North lanes closed
The City of Seminole will be closing the northbound and southbound median lanes of 113th Street North beginning on Tuesday.
The lanes will be closed for landscaping maintenance near 74th Avenue North, that is south of Park Boulevard and the Seminole Mall.
Work is scheduled between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. today through Friday.
If you have any questions, call the City of Seminole Department of Public Works at (727) 397-6383 ext. 6.
(2) Sarasota County paddleboard use meeting
Sarasota County Parks and Recreation officials are hosting the first of two meetings on Tuesday afternoon to gather community input on a proposal to allow the rental and use of stand-up paddleboards at county-owned beaches.
Earlier this year the Sarasota County Commission directed staff to draw up a report on the feasibility of offering stand-up paddleboard rentals through a vendor at Siesta Beach.
Today's meeting will be held at St. Boniface Church at 5615 Midnight Pass Road in Sarasota.
A second meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 12 at the Nokomis Community Center at 234 E. Nippino Trail in Nokomis. Both meetings will run from 4:00 to 6:30 p.m.
For more information, call (941) 861-5000 or visit www.scgov.net .
(3) Pinellas County Animal Services needs foster families
The Pinellas County Animal Services is seeking volunteers to join the foster care team. The effort will help save pets that need time away from the shelter.
All foster care parents are required to complete a volunteer orientation class and foster training that is being held on Tuesday at the Animal Services shelter.
The volunteer orientation begins at 10:30 a.m. The foster training follows at 12:30 p.m.
Some of the animals that will benefit from the program include puppies and kittens too young to be adopted, those recovering from surgery or illness, or senior pets that need to be out of a shelter environment.
To be part of the foster care team participants must possess a genuine concern for the welfare of the animals; a willingness to be compassionate to special needs animals; a commitment to follow all foster policies; and a valid driver's license and vehicle to transport foster animals to and from the shelter.
To register, visit www.pinellascounty.org/animalservices/volunteer.htm and complete the Volunteer Application and select Animal Foster Care/Rescue under the Animal Care box.
Pinellas County Animal Services is located at 12450 Ulmerton Road in Largo
(4) 2nd annual Stick a Fork in Cancer
Twenty-one restaurants will help Stick a Fork in Cancer in Manatee and Sarasota Counties on Tuesday.
The participating restaurants will donate at least 20 percent of their proceeds to the American Cancer Society. The money will go to life-saving research and provide local services to those facing cancer.
Participating restaurants include:
- Althea's Restaurant, 220 W. Miami Ave., Venice
- Ashley's Food Delivery (visit WeDeliverSarasota.com, 941-953-3663)
- Belly Stuffed Burgers, 8742 State Road 70 E., Lakewood Ranch
- Bentley's Homemade Ice Cream, 2357 Tamiami Trail S., Venice (50% of proceeds)
- Bimini Bar & Grill, 576 Blackburn Point Road, Osprey
- Café Venice, 116 W. Venice Ave., Venice
- Chick-fil-A: Cortez Plaza, from 5-8 p.m. (say "I'm here for American Cancer Society)
- Chick-fil-A, Cortez Road & U.S. 41, from 5-8 p.m. (say "I'm here for American Cancer Society)
- Chick-fil-A, 4573 14th Street West from 5-8 p.m. (say "I'm here for American Cancer Society)
- Chili's, 6125 Exchange Way, Lakewood Ranch
- Chili's, 5851 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
- Dutch Valley Restaurant, 6721 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
- Evie's, 4735 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota (from 5-8 p.m.)
- Half Shell Seafood House, 5231 University Parkway, Sarasota
- Nancy's BAR-B-Q, 301 S. Pineapple Ave., Sarasota
- Osprey Tiki Bar & Grill, 1660 Tamiami Trail S., Osprey
- Ruby Tuesday, 8306 Tourist Center Drive, Cooper Creek
- Ruby Tuesday, 5802 20th Street E., Ellenton
- Ruby Tuesday, Sarasota Square, 8201 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
- Sweet Tomatoes, 5407 University Parkway, Bradenton
- Yo Fresh Yogurt Café, 4197 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
Chick-fil-A, Chili's and Ruby Tuesday diners are required to print out the flyer at facebook.com/stickaforkincancermidcoast to participate in the fundraising campaign.
(5) Target Tuesday
The Glazer Children's Museum is giving deal for families on Tuesday.
The museum is offering free admission prices for both children and adults from 2:00 to 7:00 p.m. today. Children must be accompanied by adults and adults must be accompanied by children.
month the Museum will have a special appearance by Buddy from Dinosaur Train at 2:30 and 4:30 p.m.
The Glazer Children's Museum is located at 110 West Gasparilla Plaza next to Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park in downtown Tampa.
For more information, call (813) 443-3861 or visit glazermuseum.org .