Firefighters say the family was at the mall shopping when the fire broke out

LUTZ, Fla - A family is without a home and their pet guinea pig perished in a house fire while they were away shopping at the mall, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.

The fire broke out around 4:40 p.m. at 2217 Groveland Drive in Lutz.

Neighbors reported hearing popping noises and then an explosion.  Smoke could be seen billowing all the way to the interstate, according to firefighters.

A firefighter injured his hand but is expected to be fine.

Fire crews do not yet know how the fire started.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments