TAMPA, Fla. - FROM HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY:
Hillsborough County cold weather shelters are opening Friday due to a drop in temperature. The shelters will be open to the homeless and those who live in homes without adequate heat. Temperatures are expected to be near freezing through Saturday morning.
Hillsborough County coordinates with the following organizations to provide cold weather shelters:
· Brandon Community Center, 510 E. Sadie St. in Brandon
This shelter opens at 6 p.m. and is for homeless individuals and families with children in the Brandon Area.
· Metropolitan Ministries, 2010 N. Florida Ave. in Tampa
This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is for families.
After hours phone: 813-209-1077
· Salvation Army, 1514 N. Florida Ave. in Tampa
This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is only for adults.
After hours phone: 813-221-4440
· Jackson Springs Recreation Center, 8620 Jackson Springs Road in Town 'N Country
This shelter opens at 6:30 p.m. and is for adults and families.
· Wimauma Community Center, 5705 Hillsborough St. in Wimauma
This shelter opens at 6 p.m. and is for adults and families.
The shelters are also accepting donations of hats, gloves, scarves, blankets, disinfectant wipes, disposable cups, coffee, creamer, paper plates, plastic utensils and sugar.
Residents who need to be outside overnight or during the early morning hours are encouraged to dress in several warm layers and limit skin exposure to the wind. Pets should not be left outside during the cold weather.