TAMPA, Fla. - "We're all just torn apart," said Patricia Delorenzo.
She lost her sister at the hands of the Navy shipyard shooter.
"We just want to get through this and make a change and make a difference so her life wasn't in vain," she said.
Delorenzo announced Wednesday she's filing a federal lawsuit in Tampa against the United States Navy and Veterans Affairs for letting shooter Aaron Alexis on base with a gun where her sister worked.
"The Navy was negligent in failing to do a basic thing and that is to report the information," said attorney Sidney Matthew.
Mary Frances Delorenzo Knight, 51, was a cyber-security expert at the shipyard. Her estate's attorney says the federal government knew the shooter was dangerous and delusional before he shot a dozen people in Washington, D.C. on September 16th.
Now Alexis' private employer is named in the federal suit.
"The Hewlett Packard supervisor of Aaron Alexis, the shooter, knew that he was having these auditory hallucinations, and was mentally unfit, and was a security risk," said Matthew.
Matthew claims Alexis was hearing voices shortly before the shooting rampage and had been treated and released from a V.A. hospital. He says the suit isn't about gun control, but the lack of a shipyard gun check.
"The U.S. Navy after the shooting incident appropriated $6.4-million for new paint and carpet to try to fix up the place after it got shot up. I wonder how many metal detectors they could buy with $6.4 million?" said Matthew.
Not enough, Delorenzo says, to bring back her sister, but perhaps enough to protect others in the future.
"I don't understand how they could've just let Aaron Alexis continue on without any treatment or follow up," she said.