Thousands of workplace assaults occur every week
LARGO, FL - Violence spilling over into the workplace happens all too often now.
There are an estimated 18,000 assaults in the workplace every week across the country.
So how can you feel safer?
Craig Gundry with Critical Intervention Services, a company offering security for businesses all over Tampa Bay, says it comes down to being prepared.
“One of the big problems we find is people don't really know what's going on,” Gundry said.
Here are five things you can do:
1. Learn what security measures are in place.
“Making sure you have barriers between the lobby and the rest of the building so a shooter just can't enter the front door,” Gundry said.
2. Ask whether there's an alert system in case of an emergency. For example, the company could send out a mass text notifying employees within seconds.
3. Ask whether the company has active shooter training.
Gundry says your survival depends on whether you have a plan and there are three things you can do: Run, hide or fight.
“What you need to find out is where is the closest exit to my office?” he said.
4. Ask yourself how should I personally respond?
“What you always want to do is have a mental plan in mind. What do I do if I were in my office or if I were in a conference room?” Gundry said.
5. Be aware of your surroundings at all times
The key is taking every action now to prepare. In the end every move can make a difference.