Boyd and Stephanie Householder figured they had nothing to lose except a few extra pounds when they tried out a trial offer for a weight loss product.
As with every trial offer, the company required a credit card to pay for shipping.
But this trial offer started at the time of order, and therein lies the problem.
The Householders said by the time the trial arrived it was too late to cancel the trial, and their credit card took a hit.
Often times the charge is less than or about $100, not a huge amount until you consider some companies are doing this to hundreds or thousands of customers at once.
Here's how to protect yourself:
- Check out the company at bbb.org
- Ask for a copy of the terms and conditions of the trial.
- Check your bank or credit card statements often.
- If you get hooked by one of these, you can file a complaint with Hillsborough County Consumer Protection at http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/formcenter or Pinellas County Consumer Protection at http://www.pinellascounty.org/consumer/complaint.htm .
- If your area doesn't have a consumer protection office, go to the Better Business Bureau at bbb.org.