TAMPA - Hair wars. Bonnie Lassiter says she's lost a few.
She invested in an arsenal of shine sprays and silicone gels.
We asked a dozen different Tampa Bay area salons for their best anti-humidity styling weapon. Each had a favorite, none of them the same.
In some cases experts say it's actually the gel, serum or oil that's contributing to your bad hair days.
George Sandbrook with Deva Curl travels the country teaching women how to tame their curls. He advises avoiding products that contain silicone. Sandbrook says they coat the hair and weigh it down but do little to tame troubled tresses.
Among the products recommended by local stylists, here are the three least expensive.
- Paul Brown's Stay Straight. $15
- Aveda's Anti Humectant Pomade. $20
- Moroccan Oil Hair Spray, medium hold. $22
Something else we learned: Even the best products are only as good as the application process. Sandbrook said always apply your styling product to soaking wet hair for best results. And never towel dry just after shampooing your hair because you'll create friction and frizz.
At Barbara Forgione Salon in South Tampa, frizz fighters resort to Keratin and other temporary treatments in which the product is coated on and baked into the hair. These treatments cost about $150 and last up to two months.
Other women pay up for regular salon blow outs, but they cost upwards of $40 a pop. If you are like most and styling yourself, your smooth strands will have more of a fighting chance if you seal the blow dry with a flat iron or large barrel curling iron.
We contacted salons on both sides of the bay and compiled their 10 favorite anti-frizz products and the claims behind the product.
- Blow Bar – Moroccan Oil Frizz Control Spray. It controls frizz and static in any weather condition. It's weightless to help keep hair smooth and manageable in the most damp or dry conditions. $32
- Salon Sassin, Westshore Plaza – Avage Smoothing Treatment. Will remove frizz and completely smooth your hair. $42.
- Alexandrea Lea’s – Paul Brown Stay Straight. Moisturizes and provides sheen to frizzy hair even in high humidity. $15.
- Kendra and Company – Tampa Moroccan Oil Hair Spray, medium hold. Covers every strand. $22.
- Midori Salon – Ouidad Climate Control Heat and Humidity gel. Great for blow outs. $25.
- J Con – Aveda smooth infusion style prep smoother. Fights humidity. $24.
- Retro – Bumble and Bumble, B and B Does It All spray. Works great for smooth and straight look. $28.
- Fantastic Sam’s stylist – Anti Humectant Pomade by Aveda. Adds a nice shine without heaviness. $20.
- Barbara Forgione Salon, South Tampa – Lanza Neem Plant Serum. Provide smoothness and shine for fine hair. $31.
- Level Salon – Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight. Helps with the frizz and you can use on wet hair and lasts for up to 3 washes. $26.