If you didn't hit the mall much in July, you may want to go in August. That's because August is one of the best months of the year to find markdowns, according to DealNews.com.
August brings both the end of summer clearance sales and the back to school sales. Plus it ends this year with a big holiday weekend, Labor Day.
So DealNews is just out with its list of things to buy and things to avoid.
What to Buy Now
Deal News says August is the best time of year to buy:
- Back-to-school items, including paper products, dorm furniture
- Office supplies, even if you do not have school-age children
- Summer apparel, with shorts and sleeveless shirts up to 70% off
- Patio furniture & grills, up to 75% off
What to Wait On
But DealNews says August is not the best time to buy:
- Fall clothing, like sweaters and long sleeve shirts: It says hold off if you can till Labor Day, when prices start to drop.
- iPhones: It says while Apple has some good back to school MacBook deals, it suggests you hold off on the iPhone until the new iPhone 6 is released in September.
Next month you will be able to buy a brand new, larger iPhone 6 for $199, or an iPhone 5S at a deeply discounted price.
That way you don't waste your money.
Follow John on Twitter (@JohnMatarese)