Dirty Dining: Local Pizzeria temporarily shut down by the state due to bugs in the kitchen

SPRING HILL, Fla. - Craig Schreiber loves Village Pizza on Deltona Blvd. in Spring Hill, which opened its doors back in 1989.

"How's the pizza?" asked ABC Action News anchor Wendy Ryan.

"Very good, very good! If you're looking for good authentic nice pizza, that's the place to go. I've been in Spring Hill for 17 years. Not only do we get it at home but we order it at work all the time too," Schreiber said.

But Schreiber knew nothing about Village Pizza's recent food safety issues.

"The state was a little hard on them a couple weeks ago and shut them down for a roach problem. I don't know if you know that?" asked Ryan.

"There's a lot of places that get shut down for that. If you came to my house, you might find one every once in a while too," Schreiber joked.

On September 23, 2013 an inspector closed the restaurant's doors for 17 hours after finding over 30 live and dead roaches near the food prep table, food prep counter, storage shelves, two door refrigerator, and hand wash sink.

"When they tell us to fix something, we fix it," said Manager Paul Batista, who's worked at the restaurant since 2002.

And Paul says the roaches got into the kitchen because of another company.

"So you think the roaches came from a delivery?"

"Yes, it comes from the deliveries because they (roaches) come in boxes," Batista added.

Paul's father Paulo Batista owns the place.

"I don't have nothing to hide," Paulo said.
 
And he gave Ryan a tour behind the kitchen doors.

"Since you've been the owner, was it a shock to you?" Ryan asked about the closure.

"Yes, a little bit. But we worked on it. We got everything clean. We got everything done and we opened the next day at nine o'clock. He inspected everything again and everything was fine," Paulo said.

But this wasn't the first time an inspector found bugs.

On June 14, 2012 more roaches were documented but Paul says that's because his pest control company at the time was slacking off.

"The spray guy wasn't doing his job correctly so we got rid of him and got a new one," Paul said.

On December 18, 2012 the state also made the pizza joint toss out 25 gallons of pizza sauce because of dangerous temperatures.

"I made sauce that morning, and I put it in the cooler and it didn't cool down quick enough for their specs," Paul explained.

Paul says he's learned from that and stays on top of everything now. And those are sweet words to Schreiber, a loyal customer, who will return.

"We'd gladly go back and order pie. It doesn't bother me," Schreiber admitted happily.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments