Fire destroys St. Petersburg home

St. Petersburg, FL - An early morning fire destroyed a St. Petersburg home, sending a 41-year-old man to the hospital with smoke inhalation.

St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue responded to 4056 18th Avenue S. just after 5 a.m. Sunday morning.  Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the one-story, wood-frame house. They found the male occupant of the home exiting the house by a side door and transported him to Bayfront Medical Center for observation.

The fire started in the kitchen after the man started cooking and fell asleep with two stove burners on, according to investigators.

The house did not have smoke alarms, and the resident told firefighters he woke up choking on smoke.

Smoke alarms are free in St Petersburg. Residents needing a smoke alarms or replacement batteries for their alarms can call 727-893-SAFE.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

Fire officials say the hospital planned to release the man Sunday.

 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments