Recipe for szechuan asparagus
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 pounds asparagus
3 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 serrano chile, minced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon ginger, freshly grated and finely minced
2 whole green onions, minced
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1. Trim off tough ends of asparagus.
2. Combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and Hoisin sauce in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Boil asparagus in well-salted water until still a bit crunchy. Drain asparagus and plunge into ice. Remove when cold and drain well. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
4. Heat a large sauté pan or wok over high flame and add vegetable and sesame oils. Add chile, garlic and ginger, and sauté until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
5. Add asparagus and green onions andsauté until soft. Add sauce and cook until thickened slightly, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Sprinkles with toasted sesame seeds and serve hot.