Recipe for tofu fries
Prep time: 5 minutes (plus 1 hour pressing time)
Cook time: 5 minutes
1 lb. firm, water packed tofu
Vegetable oil for frying
Assorted dipping sauces (i.e. hot wing sauce, ketchup, aioli, BBQ, honey mustard, etc)
1. Remove the tofu from the water it is packed in. Press the tofu by placing a plate on it and a weight on top of it, or in a tofu press. Let press for 1 hour.
2. Cut the tofu into a French fry shape about ½ x ½ x several inches.
3. Coat the tofu liberally in cornstarch.
4. Place in a hot sauté pan with about ¼-inch of hot vegetable oil.
5. Saute all sides until they are lightly browned and crunchy.
6. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
7. Serve piping hot with dipping sauces.