Recipe for Red Wine Mussels
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5-8 minutes
4 lbs. mussels, cleaned and de-bearded *
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch chile flake
3 Tablespoons minced shallot
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup red wine
2 Tablespoons minced parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped basil
2 oz. Parmesan, grated
1. In a large sauce pan over moderate heat, combine mussels, butter, garlic, black pepper, chile flake, shallot, tomato sauce, and red wine.
2. Put the pan on high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Immediately reduce heat, cover and simmer until the mussels just open (4-5 minutes). Remove mussels from the pan and place in deep serving containers.
4. Taste cooking liquid for seasoning.
5. Pour the liquid over the mussels and sprinkle with parsley, basil and parmesan. Serve immediately with lots of French bread.
*De-bearded means that any of the "strings' that sometimes hang from the mussel hinges have been pulled away from the shell.