Recipe for Red Hot Poached Pears
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15-30 minutes
6 cups water
1 ¾ c. red hot candies
3 pears, peeled, halved and cored
1 t. lemon juice
2 T. spiced rum
Vanilla ice cream
Additional Red Hots candies
1. In a stainless steel pot, combine water and red hots. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer. When the red hots are dissolved, place the pears in the simmering liquid.
3. Cook until the pears are just tender. To test this, pierce the pears with a small knife. If the knife meets little resistance, the pears are done. (Cooking times depend on the ripeness of the fruit.)
4. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
5. Add the lemon juice and spiced rum.
6. Place the pears, still in their juice in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
7. Serve the pears on vanilla ice cream with a sprinkling of crushed red hots. Serve the poaching liquid around the ice cream.