Seafood lovers don't need to splurge on a pricey dish to get a taste of the sea. Let's Dish host, Chris Koetke has an easy at home recipe for oyster and crab soup.
Recipe for Oyster and Crab Soup:
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoons finely chopped celery
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 ½ Tablespoons flour
½ cup heavy cream
1 ½ cups whole milk
16 shucked oysters, with their juice
¼ teaspoon salt
4 ounces cleaned crab meat, picked clean of any shells
1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, chervil, or combination of both
¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 dashes of Tabasco
1. In a heavy medium saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the celery and onion. Sauté until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks for 2 minutes. Be careful not to let it brown.
3. Over medium high heat add the milk and cream, whisking vigorously until the mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil while stirring with the whisk. Lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes more.
4. On low heat stir in oysters, salt, crab, parsley, lemon juice and Tabasco sauce. Maintaining a bare simmer, cook the oysters for only 2-3 minutes. (The oysters only need to heat through. Overcooking the oysters will cause them to toughen.)
5. Remove from heat and serve.