Recipe for north African crock pot stew
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 8 ½ hours
6 skinless chicken thighs cut into 2" cubes
3 cloves garlic, peeled and lighipes are great for busy families and ushed
2 cups carrot, peeled and cut into large dice
1 large eggplant (about 5 ½ cups), peeled and cut into large dice
2 zucchini (about 3 ½ cups), halved vertically and cut into ½" slices
1 head cauliflower florets (about 5 cups)
1 cup diced onion
2 14 ½-oz cans stewed tomatoes
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup dried currants
1 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons cayenne
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
32 oz. vegetable broth
1. Place all the ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker and stir to mix well.
2. Cover and cook on high heat for 8 ½ hours.
3. Place 5 cups of stew in a blender (without the chicken) and puree until smooth.
4. Stir puree mixture into the stew.
5. Serve over couscous.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons minced onion
1 clove garlic
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 cup couscous
3 Tablespoons minced green onion
1. In a medium sauce pot, sauté onion in butter until the onion is softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
2. Add broth and couscous. Bring to a boil, stir, cover, and remove from heat. Let steep for 5 minutes or until the couscous is softened.
3. Stir in green onions and serve.