Recipe for Grilled Coconut Pineapple Sundae
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
3 Tablespoons dark rum
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup shredded coconut
1. Toast coconut by spreading on a baking sheet and baking in a 350° F oven until lightly browned (about 8-10 minutes). Remove from oven and let cool.
2. Remove top and bottom of pineapple using a sturdy knife. Remove the skin of the pineapple also using the same knife. Cut ¼- ½ inch thick slices by cutting from top to bottom of the pineapple. Be sure not to cut into the core of the pineapple which is in the middle of the pineapple and very tough.
3. Place the pineapple slices in a baking dish and coat both sides of the pineapple with brown sugar and rum. Let sit for 1-2 hours.
4. Grill slices of pineapple on a hot grill. Once grill marks have formed, turn over and continue grilling until the other side is nicely browned.
5. Remove from grill and chop into large pieces. Place hot pineapple over ice cream and top with coconut. (Additional rum can also be sprinkled on the sundae.
You can find more recipes on the Live Well network at livewellnetwork.com .