Recipe for Belgian Endives
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus 15-30 minutes marinating time)
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6-10 as an hors d'oeuvres
3 Belgian endives, ends trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
2 ½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons finely chopped chives
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
6 oz. ham slices (about 6 large slices)
4 oz. Swiss cheese slices
1. In an 8 x 8 baking dish, mix together the olive oil, chives, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Coat the endives with this mixture and let marinate for 15-30 minutes.
2. Grill the endives on high heat, allowing each side to brown before turning. When they are properly cooked, they should still be al dente in the center (about 4 minutes total depending on the heat of the grill.)
3. Meanwhile, on a cutting board, lay out the 6 slices of ham. Top them with the Swiss cheese. Place a hot endive half on each and roll up tightly.
4. Place the ham/endive rolls back on the grill, seam side down. Grill just to lightly brown the ham.
5. Remove from the grill and cut each endive in 3-4 pieces. Skewer each with a toothpick and serve.
You can find new recipes every weekend morning at 6:00 a.m. on ABC Action News and on the Live Well Network .