TOWN N' COUNTRY, Fla. - A Town n’ Country family of three is safe after escaping a house fire just before midnight, according to fire officials.
The fire happened at 7907 Spring Valley Ln in Pat Acres Estates.
Officials said the family of three adults was sleeping when they were awaken by the smell of smoke. The family got out of the home at called 911.
Fire officials believe the fire started in the roof and smoldered.
Fire crews were able to contain the fire to the roof area, but the blaze caused significant damage to the home, displacing the family. Two of the three adults are believed to be in their sixties.
Smoke detectors are in the home, but the family smelled the smoke before they went off. The fire chief said it was good thing that the family smelled the smoke when they did, or the outcome could have been a lot worse.
The fire is under investigation.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Another warm and humid day with a chance for mainly inland afternoon storms.