TAMPA - George and Melissa Aiken are desperate to help their dog get all the veterinary care it needs to survive a snake bite.
Their dog Chief was bitten on Friday. He can barely walk and his face is swollen beyond the point where his owners can recognize him.
They took him to a veterinarian and paid 13 hundred dollars, which included an anti-venom shot.
But they say the veterinarian refused to treat the dog anymore because George and Melissa Aiken ran out of money.
"He is like my kid," Melissa said, "We got him and his brother from a rescue, he is a part of the family."
After we made several calls, the people at Tampa Bay Veterinary Emergency Services took a look at Chief, an 8-month-old Bull Mastiff/American Bull Dog mix.
They waived emergency fees and worked out a plan for the Aikens family to pay for care.
"We were looking at another night without feeding him not knowing what was going to happen no one to help guide us." George explained.
Since being bit the dog has not eaten properly. The bite can be fatal, and the vet who examined him says he has only a 50% chance of recovering. But the Aikens are grateful that he at least now has a fighting chance.
Copyright 2010 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Ari's bus hasn’t shown up at all for two mornings. His afternoon bus was two hours late Monday so his mother picked him up. We waited with her Tuesday to see what would happen.