Pirates having a good time during the 2012 Gasparilla Pirate Invasion in Tampa, Fla.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
TAMPA - Ahoy mateys! It’s that time of year for pirates, parades, boats, beer, and you can’t forget—beads.
This Saturday, Jan. 26, the Pirate Fest will kick off at 10:00 a.m., then the much awaited “Invasion” of the Jose Gasparilla pirate ship will enter the south end of Hillsborough Bay at 11:30 a.m.
Last year, hundreds of thousands flooded Bayshore Boulevard for Gasparilla 2012, and 2013 is expected to be no different.
Whether it’s your first time or you’re a vet to the parade, here are some useful tips and reminders about one of Tampa’s biggest traditions.
2. You don’t want your good fun to be ruined because you broke any rules, so don’t bring any of the following prohibited items:
- No styrofoam cups or containers
- Advertising of an any product or service
- Glass containers of any sort (City Ordinance)
- Coolers – Note: Small soft-sided cooler and lunch bags are permitted for childcare needs and medical needs only.
- Contests or lotteries of any kind
- Tents of any sort
- Fence, stakes or rope (used by spectators to reserve space for parade viewing)
- Sampling or give-away of any product or service
- Selling any product or service
- Solicitation or database development of any kind
- Vehicles of any sort
- Weapons of any sort
- Illegal drugs of any sort
3. Keep in mind that your usual travel routes in the area may not be available due to road closures for the parade. For bicyclists, you can ride you bike to the event, but you must walk with your bikes within the street closures. Get tips on parking, road closures and more from our traffic girl, Meredyth Censullo: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/traffic/traffic_news/gasparilla-2013-information-on-road-closures-detours-transit-and-parking
For more tips, check out the Frequently Asked Questions page on Gasparilla’s website: http://gasparillapiratefest.com/faq.shtml
For information about the history of Gasparilla, dating back to 1904, click here: http://gasparillapiratefest.com/history.shtml
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
There is only a 20% chance for an afternoon shower or storm. The possibility for rain will go down even more by Friday.