ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A three-alarm fire broke out at St. Petersburg High School early Friday morning, and officials say it was caused by a blow torch.
Crews had to cut off power to the school and fire officials say the school will be closed today as a result.
A construction crew was working on the roof of the school’s auditorium, located at 2501 5 Ave. N, around midnight with a propane tank and a torch, putting down tar.
Around that time, the St. Petersburg Fire Rescue got a call saying that there was a fire on the roof, but there was no fire at that time, just workers using the torch.
But the heat from the torch is said to have started the real fire in the three-story auditorium around 4:00 a.m.
Fire crews are at the school fighting the blaze in the auditorium, where it has been contained.
District officials confirmed that ALL classes at St. Petersburg High School are canceled around 6:30 a.m., but due to short notice, students have begun to show up for school, which begins at 7:05 a.m.
No word yet on plans for the students who have already arrived at the campus.
Stay with ABC Action News and abcactionnews.com for the latest on this developing story.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.