ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A St. Petersburg man was in the right place at the right time after a 76-year-old man fell asleep Monday while cooking some macaroni and cheese.
According to fire officials, Oscar Jenkins left the meal cooking on the stove and fell asleep in a chair in his second-floor apartment at a seniors' complex on Arlington Ave.
Things would have been tragic if not for two factors. The sprinkler system in the apartment went off, and Quick-thinking Jerome Williams was in the right place at the right time.
Williams said he was at the facility to help his mother when the fire alarm went off. As he went up the stairs towards her apartment, he spotted smoke coming out from Mr. Jenkins' apartment.
He immediately went to the door and banged on it, calling out for Oscar.
When he didn't get an answer, he went inside. Jerome says the combination of the fire, the water, the smoke, and the steam made it almost impossible to see or move. However, he managed to find Oscar, still in his chair, and still asleep.
"I'm waking him," Williams explained. "Trying to get him up, saying.. 'Oscar, Oscar, wake up! Get up, get up!' Finally he begins to come around asking me, 'What's going on, what's going on?' I say, 'You're place is on fire you got to get out of here.'"
Oscar later said it was his 76th birthday.
According to fire officials, it is a birthday Oscar may not have been talking about if it wasn't for Mr Williams.
Williams, on the other other hand, says, "I'm not a hero. I'm just Jerome."
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Wildlife officials say 20 whales believed to be part of a pod found stranded in the Everglades this week were spotted Friday afternoon moving closer toward shore, a sign they may be reversing their earlier, positive course.