LAKELAND, Fla. - A woman is left without her two pets and a place to live after a fire destroyed her apartment Saturday, Lakeland Fire officials said.
The fire started in an apartment at Fountain View Apartments, located at 225 East Edgewood Drive. Lakeland fire crews were dispatched around 1:25 p.m.
Hope Warren, spokeswoman for the Lakeland Fire Department, said that the renter had left a candle burning in her apartment when she went to meet a friend to eat.
While she was gone, the cat knocked over the lit candle catching the couch fire. The fire was smoldering when Lakeland firefighters arrived on scene.
The apartment was destroyed due to the high heat of the fire and heavy smoke.
Sadly, the two pets, a cat and a dog did not survive the fire.
No injuries were reported.
The American Red Cross is assisting Ferguson with a place to live.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Ireland Nugent is back in her Palm Harbor home and walking. An Orlando facility fitted her with new prosthetics. It's been more than two months since the toddler lost her feet after being accidentally run over by a lawn mower.