PASCO COUNTY, Fla. - A 22-year-old man is being treated at University Community Hospital after being bitten by a water moccasin in Pasco County.
Michael Hendershot was visiting a friend Sunday when he tried to move the snake from a driveway, according to a hospital news release.
Hendershot reportedly thought it was a non-venomous snake. He quickly realized he was wrong after the reptile bit his right hand and it swelled up to the size of small basketball.
Hendershot's friend rushed him to the emergency room at UCH where he received 12 vials of antivenin to combat the potent water moccasin venom, the hospital said. He is in fair condition in the Coronary Care Unit. Hendershot is expected to be released from the hospital later this week.
UCH reports that it treated 15 venomous snakebite victims in 2009. All of the patients survived.
Copyright 2010 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Ashley Atherley's family knew her marriage was abusive. For years, the Robles had tried to get her to leave. But even their wildest nightmares couldn't have predicted this.