PALM HARBOR, Fla. - A family is safe after escaping an overnight house fire in Palm Harbor, but their pets didn’t survive, according to officials.
The blaze began just after midnight on the 1400 block of Pennsylvania Ave.
A neighbor noticed something burning outside the garage door and alerted the family of three inside the home.
The family got out, but their two cats died in the fire.
The garage suffered severe fire damage. The family is displaced, but they have a place to stay, so the Red Cross was not needed.
The fire is under investigation.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The I-Team was there when 99-year-old Willi Berchau was released from Florida's guardianship program after a three-year court battle. The I-Team has now learned that a local non-profit group has been established to assist other families.