TAMPA - With temperatures set to dip into the low 30's in Tampa and possibly the high 20's in other parts of the Bay Area, several counties are once again opening up shelters for the homeless or anyone without proper heat.
Most of these Hillsborough County shelters will close around 7 a.m.
- Bethune Park Rural Shelter (South County) 5809 Edina St. in Wimauma. This shelter opens at 6 p.m. and is for adults and families. Phone: (813) 671-7618
- Brandon Community Center, 510 E. Sadie St. in Brandon This shelter opens at 5:30 p.m. and is for homeless individuals and families with children in the Brandon Area. Phone: (813) 635-8179
- Metropolitan Ministries, 2010 N. Florida Ave. in Tampa. This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is for families. After hours phone: (813) 209-1077
- Salvation Army, 1514 N. Florida Ave. in Tampa This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is only for adults.After hours phone: (813) 221-4440
The Bethune Park Rural Shelter and the Brandon Community Center are accepting donations of shelter supplies, such as disinfectant wipes, disposable cups, coffee, creamer, paper plates, plastic utensils, and sugar. Those wishing to donate supplies should contact each individual shelter.
Meals for the shelters are provided through Metropolitan Ministries. Those wishing to donate non-perishable items should contact Metropolitan Ministries at (813) 209-1000.
In Pinellas County, shelters will be open both Sunday and Monday nights starting at 6 p.m. A hot dinner and breakfast will be served. Pinellas shelters will close at 6 a.m.
- For adults in Clearwater, go to the Peace Memorial Presbyterian Church, 110 S. Ft. Harrison Avenue. Phone: 727-442-3677. Capacity: 75 or the St Cecelia Catholic Church, 820 Jasmine Way, 727-447-3494, Capacity: 45
- Trinity Church of the Nazarene, 1000 55th St. South, Gulfport 727-321-1598, Capacity: 20
- Boys & Girls Club of the Suncoast, 7790 61st Street North Pinellas Park, 727- 574-5437 Capacity: 250
- St. Petersburg Northwest Presbyterian Church, 6330 54th Ave. North,727-544-4551Capacity: 75
- Salvation Army, 1400 4th Street South, St. Petersburg, 727-822-4954, Capacity: 25
- The Turning Point, 1810 5th Ave. North, St. Petersburg, 727-823-7811,Capacity: 25
- St Timothy's Lutheran Church, 812 E. Tarpon Avenue, Tarpon Springs, Capacity: 25
Families will be placed in motels Call one of the following family coordinators to make arrangements for a family:
- Clearwater: Lewis Hill (727) 644-4795 or backup Cyntthia Sterba (727) 481-3359 or (316) 841-7954
- St Petersburg/Pinellas Park: Jim Leiby (727) 433-2115
- Tarpon Springs: Mary Dekasin (727) 479-2914
NOTE: The Salvation Army Clearwater may be able to provide shelter to homeless families. Please call Kip Corriveau @ (727) 446-6507 for availability of rooms.
Polk County Shelters will open at 7 p.m. but the following shelters will not admit anyone past 10 p.m.
- Winterhaven - St. Joseph Catholic Church 535 Ave M NW,
- Haines City - New Horizons Church - 21 S. 2nd Street, Haines City
- Davenport - New Horizons Church 3 N. Suwannee/N. Market Street.
- Lake Wales - First Presbyterian Church, 16 N. 3rd Street,
The Salvation Army in Lakeland only provides shelter for families. Check-in begins at 5 p.m. and will accept and family throughout the night. Morning check-out is 7:30 a.m.
Talbot House in Lakeland, in partnership with the Salvation Army, also provides Cold Night accommodations to singles (men and women). The Talbot House is located in Lakeland at 814 N. Kentucky Ave. Phone: 863-687-8475.
Lighthouse Ministries in Lakeland provides shelter to MEN ONLY. Lighthouse Ministries is located at 117 E. Magnolia Street in Lakeland.
Pasco County Shelters will open Sunday and Monday nights.
- Volunteer Way,10008 Moon Lake Road, New Port Richey * No families accepted.(727) 815-0433
- Community Congregational Church, 6533 Circle Blvd, New Port Richey *Families accepted. (727) 849-1943
- Home with a Heart, 11736 U.S. 19, Port Richey, Room 161 * Families accepted.(727) 243-1367
- The Holy Ground Shelter, 8835 Denton Avenue, Hudson, *Families accepted.
- The Samaritan Project,34921 Chauncy Road,Zephyrhills *Families accepted. (813) 810-8670
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.