LUTZ, Fla - A family is without a home and their pet guinea pig perished in a house fire while they were away shopping at the mall, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.
The fire broke out around 4:40 p.m. at 2217 Groveland Drive in Lutz.
Neighbors reported hearing popping noises and then an explosion. Smoke could be seen billowing all the way to the interstate, according to firefighters.
A firefighter injured his hand but is expected to be fine.
Fire crews do not yet know how the fire started.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A 4-year-old Pasco County boy is dead. According to family members, doctors suspect he contracted bacterial meningitis, He started showing symptoms Saturday night.