SEFFNER, Fla. - Red Cross is assisting a family that watched their home burn to the ground Saturday.
According to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokeswoman, Jessica Damico, a mother and her four children escaped from their burning mobile home after a friend alerted them to the fire.
Fire crews responded to the scene, but only had a limited water supply. They used the little water they had to protect the homes surrounding the burning structure.
According to Damico, a propane tank next the home caught fire and exploded, fortunately no one was hurt. Damage from the explosion was contained to the already burning home.
There were no working smoke alarms in the home.
According to officials, 3,000 people die each year due to house fires. Majority of those deaths are the result of non-working, or non-existent smoke alarms in homes.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A dive team from Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office was called to University Square Mall on Tuesday afternoon after a suspected shoplifter jumped into a pond and disappeared. Deputies say a suspect was later arrested.