Recipe for Fried Plantains
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 16 patacóns
2 green plantains
Oil for deep fryer
1. Cut the plantains into 1-inch thick slices with their skin. Peel the skin off of each slice.
2. Fry the plantains in a deep-fryer set at 325° F. Cook until they are lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
3. Remove from the fryer and when still warm, place the slices between sheets of a plastic bag or between silicon sheets and smash the plantain as thinly as possible. You can do this with your hand or with a sturdy pot.
4. Heat the deep fryer oil to 375° F. Place the smashed plantains in the fryer and cook until browned.
5. Remove from the fryer and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Season the patacóns with salt and serve with salsa.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.