PALM COAST, Fla. - Central Florida health officials are warning residents about seawater bacteria after a man died from exposure this week.
Authorities in Flagler and Volusia counties are advising residents to avoid eating raw shellfish and exposing open wounds in seawater. The Daytona Beach News-Journal ( http://bit.ly/19NujM0 ) reports that 59-year-old Henry Konietzky died Monday after he was exposed to bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus. He had been fishing for crabs in the Halifax River.
Statewide, 29 cases and nine deaths have been linked to the bacteria this year.
Vibrio vulnificus is a bacterium that normally lives in warm seawater and is in the same family as cholera. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Health officials say people should wear gloves and wash their hands after handling raw shellfish.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Cold weather has forced thousands of flights to be cancelled or delayed across the country, leaving many travelers frustrated for yet another day. INSIDE: Current local and national flight information.