TAMPA, Fla. - Hillsborough County firefighters battled a one-alarm blaze that injured one person Sunday morning.
The fire broke out in the kitchen of a home on 84th Street South in Progress Village in Tampa just after 10 a.m.
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue officials say two adults were sleeping inside the home at the time the fire broke out. There was severe fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the home, but firefighters were able to put out the flames within 10 minutes of the time they arrived.
One of the residents was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
There's no word yet on the cause of the fire, but firefighters credit a working smoke alarm for alerting the residents to the fire. "This incident is a perfect example of having smoke alarms protecting your home," said Ronnie Rivera, spokesman for Hillsborough County Fire Rescue. Most residential fire deaths occur when people are sleeping and they either don't have a smoke alarm or it is not working, Rivera said.
Anyone in Hillsborough County needing a smoke alarm can get one from Hillsborough County Fire Rescue free of charge and have it installed for free as part of the department's project "SAFE" (Smoke Alarms For Everyone.)
Call 813-272-6600 for more information.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.