KANSAS CITY - Officials in Kansas City found an alarming amount of lead in a common spice found in most homes across the country.
Health department officials in Kansas City, Mo. found a large amount of lead contaminated paprika being sold at local grocery stores after a 2-year-old girl's lead poisoning prompted a routine investigation.
Paprika, sweet paprika, smoked paprika and Hungarian paprika were among the contaminated spices, and were sold in bulk in unlabeled bins.
The spices were traced to a common in-state distributor and have been removed.
The Healthy Homes and Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program urges consumers to throw away previously purchased paprika that is unlabeled and shoppers only purchase paprika in a clearly labeled container.
Kids under six-years old should have a blood test every year and pregnant women should have a lead test once in their pregnancy, the health department suggests.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Two-year-old Evan Ranieri will be getting a donated kidney Wednesday. His parents hope his journey will inspire others to donate organs to children who have a whole lifetime still ahead of them.