A Largo mother is behind bars tonight facing child neglect charges after her 14-month-old son swallowed methadone while she watched him.
Police say it happened at the family's house off Camelia Place Saturday.
Danae Barberee, 24, according to family friends, was at home watching the boy and his four-year-old half sister when it happened.
"He wasn't breathing like he should and his lips were purple," said a female family friend who was at the home Monday. The friend asked not to be identified.
Police tell ABC Action News Barberee knew her son ingested the drug but did not call 911 for several hours.
By the time paramedics arrived, the boy was unresponsive and not breathing.
"This was a freak accident. It could have happened to anyone. It could have happened to someone in the suburbs who has a lot of money," the family friend said.
The boy was rushed to Mease Countryside Hospital and later transported to All Children's Hospital.
Barberee, who was on probation for possession of a controlled substance, was arrested Monday after police were called to the hospital. She is now facing child neglect charges and parole violation.
Friends said Barberee has a history of drug abuse and was trying to turn her life around. She lived at the home along with her husband, daughter and mother.
Every morning Barberee would go to a private clinic and pick up methadone, her friends said.
It is not clear how the boy got his hands on the drug and police could not say whether the methadone was in a pill or liquid form.
Barberee along with her mother have been banned from having any contact with the boy.
"She's a good mom. Her house was always clean," explained the family friend.
Barberee's daughter is now living with her paternal grandmother.
Friends and family said the boy is strong and they expect him to pull through.
"They took the tube out and he is drinking and sitting up," the family friend added.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.