If you watch a lot of movies, then you may want to look into a new service called “MoviePass.”
For around $29.99 a month, depending on where you live, MoviePass lets you go to as many movies as you want. It's kind of like Netflix, except you have to leave the house.
HOW MOVIE PASS WORKS
Here’s how it works: You go to the theater and find the show time you want to see on the MoviePass app. This will unlock a debit card which you then use to purchase a ticket for that movie. You can see one movie every day.
It may not be the simplest process, but it’s not too inconvenient. And if you see movies a lot, this could save you a bunch of money.
If you live in an area where movies cost $10 a ticket, more than three visits a month will make MoviePass worth the investment.
And once you have the pass, you might find yourself checking out all sorts of movies you wouldn't normally see.
THE DOWNSIDES OF MOVIEPASS
- MoviePass doesn't work at every theater, so you'll want to check out your zip code to see if there's a convenient theater near you.
- You have to go to the theater to buy your ticket . You can’t pre-purchase in advance from home.
- MoviePass doesn't work on 3D or IMAX movies.
- If you want to go with someone, they've got to buy their own seat or have their own MoviePass.
- Finally, keep in mind that it's a yearly subscription. It's billed monthly, but if you cancel early, you'll be penalized.
Right now, the MoviePass site is in beta, but you can request an invite at http://www.moviepass.com .
Sound like something you'll use? Let us know in the comment section below:
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Money Headlines
Can you hear me now. That is exactly what one cell phone customer found herself asking over and over again. Terry Sapp told our Taking Action reporter Jackie Callaway she simply could not get service of any kind from her carrier.