APOLLO BEACH, Fla. - "It's a good place. It's a neighborhood place, neighborhood restaurant," said Steve Szychowski, a regular at The Docks Bar and Grill on US Highway 41 in Apollo Beach, dropping by three to four times a week.
"What do you normally eat?" asked ABC Action News anchor Wendy Ryan.
"I eat salads. I eat fish. I eat just about anything they have there," Steve said.
But one day in April, Steve couldn't enjoy any of those meals because the state shut down The Docks for 24 hours after inspectors found over 60 live and dead roaches by the kitchen oven, wall, floor drain and light fixtures.
And it wasn't the first time the place had a problem with roaches.
On January 19, 2012, over 300 live roaches were discovered all over the kitchen in the coolers, dish room area, shelves, racks, cooking equipment, walls, and floors.
So Ryan went inside the restaurant to get some answers from management. But the female manager on duty told her the owner, Shawn Haverfield, was the person she needed to speak with, and he wasn't there.
Also during that April visit, inspectors found live flies in the kitchen coming through an open back door with no screen, the same violation we saw during our visit.
And over the last year, The Docks accumulated 51 other critical violations including food not date-marked, food stored on the floor, employees touching ready to eat food with their bare hands, no certified food manager on duty and no proof employees were properly trained.
But Steve believes The Docks' management will clean up it's act and regulars like him will return.
"It doesn't affect any of the locals," Steve said.
"So you'll go back?" Ryan asked.
"Yes. So will most of the locals, I think," Steve responded.
Ryan called owner Shawn Haverfield several times over the last two weeks, but her calls were never returned.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Money Headlines
A Tampa woman who trusted her pest control company for close to two decades to protect her from termites is now dealing with an infestation that destroyed her home.