Recipe for Super Oatmeal:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
1 cup steel cut oats
1 Tablespoon butter
4 cups vanilla soy milk
¼ cup walnut pieces
Blueberry sauce (below)
1. In a saucepan, cook oats in butter over moderate heat until they smell toasty (about 4 minutes)
2. Add soy milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender (35-45 minutes).
3. Serve with walnuts and blueberry sauce
1 lb. fresh blueberries
½ cup real maple syrup
4 pinches ground cardamom
1. Combine all ingredients in a microwave-proof bowl.
2. Cook on high power in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir.
3. Cook for 2 more minutes in the microwave and stir.
4. Continue cooking for several more minutes, checking the blueberries and stirring after every minute. The sauce is done when the blueberries are very soft and starting to pop.
5. Let cool to room temperature or store covered in the refrigerator until needed.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.