Recipe for Spaghetti Squash
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 large onion)
1 red or green bell pepper, thinly sliced
7 cloves garlic, chopped
2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 1 ¾ cups)
¼ cup red wine (optional)
24-26 oz. jar of marinara sauce
1 - 3 ½ to 4 pound spaghetti squash
3 oz. fresh baby spinach
¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
4+ Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. To prepare the tomato sauce, sauté onions and peppers in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
2. Add 4 cloves of garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook for 3 more minutes.
3. Pour in the red wine and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes to evaporate the alcohol from the wine. Add the marinara sauce and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. Reserve and keep warm.
4. Pierce the squash all over with a small paring knife.
5. Place the squash in the microwave and cook on high for 8 minutes. Then, carefully turn over the squash. Continue cooking on high for an additional 7-8 minutes or until the squash gives to gentle pressure. Remove from the microwave and let it cool for 5 minutes. Be careful when handling as it can be very hot.
6. Meanwhile, sauté remaining 3 garlic cloves in remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Reserve.
7. Once the squash has cooled for 5 minutes, carefully halve the squash lengthwise (there will be steam) and discard seeds. Working over a bowl, scrape squash flesh with a fork into large bowl. Stir in spinach, parmesan cheese, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic and olive oil that had been previously sautéed together.
8. Divide the squash into 4 servings, ladle on the marinara sauce.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines
Coating your fish with different seeds is a great way to jazz up your dinner. Try this three seed crusted fish.