Recipe for Potato, Corn & Sausage Chowder
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Serves: 10-12 (about 3 ½ quarts)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
6 ½ oz. (about 1 ½ cups) spicy sausage (like Andouille), cut into half-moon slices
6 ½ oz. (about 1 ½ cups) smoked sausage (like Kielbasa), cut into half-moon slices
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onions
½ cup diced red pepper
16 oz. frozen corn (about 3 cups), thawed
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup diced cooked meat (like chicken, pork, or beef)
48 oz. chicken broth
1 teaspoons salt
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme leaf
1 ½ teaspoons rubbed sage
6 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1. Heat oil over moderate heat in a large sauce pot or stock pot. Add sausages and sauté for 4-6 minutes until lightly browned.
2. Add carrots, celery, onion, red pepper, corn, and garlic to stock pot. Sauté for 12-15 minutes until soft.
3. Add chicken broth, cooked meat, salt, black pepper, thyme, and sage.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Stir in mashed potatoes and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
6. Just before serving, stir in green onions and serve with sour cream and hot sauce on the side.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines