Recipe for Tofu Pita
Prep time: 25 minutes (plus 2-8 hours marinating time)
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 lb. extra firm tofu, sliced into ¼" slices and patted dry
2 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1 Tablespoon dry oregano
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Warm pita breads
Garnishes for pita bread: sliced onion, sliced tomato, minced parsley, and soy-based tzatziki sauce (below)
1. Mix all ingredients except for the tofu.
2. Combine marinade and tofu. Mix gently so that the tofu is coated in marinade. Cover and let marinade in the refrigerator for 2-8 hours.
3. Lay tofu slices on a sheet tray.
5. Bake tofu slices in a 425° oven for 25 minutes. (Turn the slices over half way through the cooking process.) The finished slices should be lightly browned and very aromatic. They can also be easily reheated.
6. Serve inside a warm pita pocket with sliced onion, sliced tomato, minced parsley, and soy-based tzatziki sauce.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.