Recipe for Mexican Monte Cristo
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 16 minutes
½ cup milk
6 slices white bread
4 oz. grated pepper jack cheese
4 oz. can mild diced green chilies, drained
3 teaspoons minced green onions
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
4 ½ oz. thinly sliced ham
2 Tablespoons oil
Salsa to serve on the side
1. Whisk milk and eggs together. Pour into a pie tin.
2. Soak bread slices in the egg and milk mixture. Remove and place on cutting board.
3. To make 1 sandwich, sprinkle 1/6 of the cheese on a piece of bread. Top cheese with 1/3 of the chilies, green onions, and cilantro. Place 1/3 of the ham on top of this followed by 1/6 of the cheese. Finish with a slice of bread.
4. In a hot sauté pan (preferably non-stick), sauté sandwiches in oil until browned on both sides.
5. Remove and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a 400° F oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot with a side of your favorite salsa.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines
Baloo is a male Boxer mix who is about 3 years old. He was found at Animal Services with a bulging eye which had to be removed. However, having only one eye does not hinder him at all! He is active and playful.