Prep time: 120 minutes (plus 1 day marinating time)
Cook time: 0
1 head green cabbage
4 granny smith apples, grated or cut into a julienne (match-stick size)
½ cup minced celery
2/3 cup minced onion
1 cup apple cider or water
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 Tablespoons dry mustard
3 jalapeño chilies, minced
1. Quarter cabbage and remove core. Cut quarters into fine slices or shred on a grater.
2. Mix cabbage with apples, celery and onion.
3. In a small saucepan, combine water or cider, sugar, celery seed, dry mustard, and chilies. Bring to a boil over moderate heat.
4. Pour hot liquid on cabbage mixture.
5. Over the next 2-3 hours stir the cabbage while it sits at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for 1 day.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines
A wild animal's natural instinct is to steer clear of humans, but when a fox cub somehow got its head hopelessly stuck inside a glass jar, there seemed to be no other option than to seek a helping pair of human hands.