Recipe for Arepa de Choclo
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5-7 minutes
3 cups fresh corn kernels*
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Vegetable oil for sautéing
6 oz. thinly sliced mozzarella or Gruyère cheese
*It is important for this recipe to have fresh corn kernels. To make kernels, shuck sweet corn and then cut the kernels from the cob using a chef knife.
1. Place all ingredients except for oil and cheese in a blender. Process until smooth.
2. In a large non-stick sauté pan over moderately high heat, lightly coat the pan with oil and then pour in ¼ of the corn mixture. Cook until it solidifies into a cake and browns. Carefully flip the arepa de choclo.
3. Layer the cheese on top of the arepa de choclo.
4. When the other side is browned, fold the arepa de choclo in half to look like a semi-circle.
5. Remove from the pan and serve hot.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines
Here are the best apps to have at your fingertips to see you through this holiday season. The best part: They're free.