Recipe for north African crock pot stew
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 8 ½ hours
6 skinless chicken thighs cut into 2" cubes
3 cloves garlic, peeled and lighipes are great for busy families and ushed
2 cups carrot, peeled and cut into large dice
1 large eggplant (about 5 ½ cups), peeled and cut into large dice
2 zucchini (about 3 ½ cups), halved vertically and cut into ½" slices
1 head cauliflower florets (about 5 cups)
1 cup diced onion
2 14 ½-oz cans stewed tomatoes
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup dried currants
1 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons cayenne
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
32 oz. vegetable broth
1. Place all the ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker and stir to mix well.
2. Cover and cook on high heat for 8 ½ hours.
3. Place 5 cups of stew in a blender (without the chicken) and puree until smooth.
4. Stir puree mixture into the stew.
5. Serve over couscous.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons minced onion
1 clove garlic
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 cup couscous
3 Tablespoons minced green onion
1. In a medium sauce pot, sauté onion in butter until the onion is softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
2. Add broth and couscous. Bring to a boil, stir, cover, and remove from heat. Let steep for 5 minutes or until the couscous is softened.
3. Stir in green onions and serve.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines
Enjoy this dried fruit recipe that is very tasty and versatile and can be served as part of a dessert or for breakfast.