Recipe for green chili
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 poblano peppers (about 1 lb.), seeded and thinly sliced
6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 lb. trimmed pork shoulder cut into small dice
2 15 oz. cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
16 oz. baby spinach
½ cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
Rice, tortilla chips, sliced green onions and small cubes of pepper jack cheese for garnish
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, poblano peppers, and jalapeno peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and cumin and cook for another minute.
3. Add the pork and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the pinto beans and chicken broth.
5. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thick and the meat is tender, about 35-40 minutes.
6. Stir in spinach and cilantro and simmer until just tender, about 2-4 minutes.
7. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
8. Serve with rice, tortilla chips green onions, and pepper jack cheese on the side.
Find more recipes on the Live Well Network .
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines
Joey is searching for his forever family. Are you the right one to take him home? You can see Joey on ABC Action News at Noon on Friday.